A lot of us try and turn our unfair, into fair. While there is no joy in being trodden on, beaten down, and our calling is not do be a doormat to some bully, trying to make everything fair is fruitless work.
This world has got into this whole mess because we don't know how surrender to the beautiful, better things. (Think Lucifer). We want more. And if someone around has more than us, then well, "that's not fair!"
Praise God it is not fair! For the wages of sin is death... If we got what we deserve, we'd be headed backwards, or down, or out. No where good!
So, here are my 5 steps to Surrender in the Christian context.
- Accept that God is working in your life. This can stop us responding to a situation angrily. If we view everything that happens to us as something God knows about and is already delivering us from, it is much easier to come to a point of surrender. Trust God.
- Pray. Or... if it sounds better, simply talk to God. Always. About everything. Don't be tempted to hide stuff from Him. You can be incredibly open and honest with God without recriminations. When you go alone, in action or thought, surrender will be hard to keep a hold of.
- Know what you want. Get very clear about this. And don't fall for the trap that everything you desire has to be "sanctioned by the brethren" so to speak. God created you to be the person He is calling you to be. So listen for His voice, be honest about what you hear, and let you heart receive your calling. (It's so very hard to surrender to someone else's calling).
- An attitude of gratitude goes a long way. Yes, it's hard to be thankful for something that appears to be unfair. But if you accept God is at work in your life, and in any given situation, be thankful for the silver linings, growing opportunities, and the things that are more than fair in your life.
- Love. Yourself. Know God loves you, and with all of this wonderful life flowing your way... even be prepared to love your enemies. If this is becoming part of your life, you are living a surrendered life. And you are more than on the right track!